Lumberjanes #1-7 (7 points)

 I was excited to see that Lumberjanes was on the book list for this week. I own a copy myself, but I haven't read it yet! Sometimes I go to the book store to get a couple of graphic novels and then I wait a while to read them. I was happy to be able to read them in this class, but I was a bit disappointed. My first impression of the books was sort of an action-adventure, maybe with some serious trouble more like the show Gravity Falls but with scouts instead. After reading the first couple of issues, I was noticing that the characters did go on some cool adventures, but there were no consequences for the characters at all. Every obstacle they faced, they were able to overcome it with no prior knowledge as to how to accomplish the tasks they were doing. I felt like the characters all had similar personalities too. And since they were basically invincible, I got bored in the times of the stories that I was supposed to be intrigued by. The dialogue I have to say was a bit...silly. Sometimes it didn't make sense to me because the way they were speaking to each other seemed like middle school talk with unfinished sentences and noises that are supposed to be "cute". I just felt like I wasn't connecting to the characters because everything with lightly delivered as a joke. One thing that caught my attention was that this book has taken a large influence from Adventure Time in both drawing style and dialogue. In Lumberjanes I noticed some of the characters were saying the line, "What the junk?" that I first heard from the Adventure Time show years ago. The imagery I think brought the story up a little bit more, but even the drawings in these books were not that great. They look rushed and very simplified which is a style choice I understand that, but the lack of craftsmanship on some pages is hard to miss. I learned a lot about how simple images that read clearly can win over most people as long as it conveys emotions and has a clear color. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy Ace War Idyll by George Pratt (4 points)

Octopus Pie (5 points)

Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons (4 points)