Octopus Pie (5 points)

This comic made me see some reoccurring trends in comics by women. It seems to be a pattern, in my experience, that the characters' reactions to things are over-exaggerated. this kind of brings me out of the story because I can't relate to the unrealistic way they communicate with each other. I'm not saying this is bad necessarily, but I think a great level of sophistication is simply wiped out in these stories because I felt like I was just reading about the character's life day by day. The topics of the day by day pacing of the story, almost always include something about being gay or something sexual. These moments were squeezed into the story where they didn't really belong. It was nice and silly to see those things happening but I didn't see a true purpose for so many of those moments. I didn't really see a strong plot in these comics. At some points, it seemed a little bit random but in a way that wasn't so exciting. For example, The Sandman is a nonlinear story within a bigger plot. The randomness of that story however has a purpose at the end. Every page is important to a large overarching story. With Octopus Pie there is some character development and some problems that happen here and there, but I wasn't feeling worried for the characters exactly. The comic was delivered in an insensitive cartoony way which may have been the intention of the creator. The style of the illustrations reminded me of the Simpsons mixed with Bob's burgers. It felt like an adult animation with a floaty, everything is a fine mindset. The main character, however, is constantly angry and this can be charming but I didn't understand why at first and it made me dislike the main character. Maybe if the piece was illustrated differently, I would have been a little more intrigued about the issues happening in the plot. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy Ace War Idyll by George Pratt (4 points)

Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons (4 points)